Friday, September 12, 2008

Evacuation

Scott and I (and the two puppies) evacuated yesterday from the island. We left at 11:20 am and arrived in Dallas a little after 11 pm. We are staying with some friends. The drive wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting...Long, but not horrible. The puppies were really great. They started to overheat in my car (without A/C) so Scott and I traded cars about 6 hours into the drive. They cooled off after some time in the car. Sammy did crawl onto my lap as I was driving. (He isn't allows in the driver's seat). He was trying to sit between me and the window...which left no where for my left arm (which, by the way, is sunburned because the sunscreen was in the trunk!!). He was rolling down the window for himself. He finally settled down, laying across my lap. Safe, I know! But, we arrived, safe and sound last night. We've spent the day watching the news (yikes!) and searching for a verizon store for a new phone (cuz mine is crap). But, we have no idea how long we will be here, or what our houses will look like when all this is over. I may have an alligator in my house because all the animals are seeking shelter from the storm. EEK! But, we continue to watch the hurricane and watch the water fill the island. Hopefully we can go back sometime soon(??) But, I have finally learned what a storm surge is. More updates to come... (and hopefully some pictures of the puppies and Lisa and her hubby). Yay for old friends...Boo for hurricanes!!! (We did get free cookies from Subway because we're from Galveston...)

4 comments:

Da Momma said...

People from Galveston should get cookies even without a hurricane. So glad you are safe and sound. Boo to hurricanes that ruined my vacation with my meecher.

Sarah said...

Yikes!!!! This one must be better than our hurricane. Kiss the puppies for me. Talk to you soon! Oh no mom didn't get to go see you! sad :(

Pappy said...

fear not little flock!

Alexa said...

I swear I saw you at World Market on Saturday...but I was not sure if that was you!!! Now I am...why aren't you posting...how are you?